Monday, 6 June 2016

5 Steps to Healthy

Hey lovelies,

Following this gorgeous weather we have had this weekend I wanted to discuss how to make your life a lot healthier! As the temperature increases and clothing decreases, I know that a lot of people get a push of motivation to tone up and eat more healthily so I thought I would share with you, 5 ways to make you healthier!

Pinterest

1. Drink more water
By now, with all the articles and posts of people banging on about how great water is, I'm sure you are all aware that you need to drink more of it. I could probably create a whole blog post with all the benefits drinking more water has, it is literally amazing - and free in most places. I usually aim for about 2-3 litres of water a day. Plus a litre when I workout. And often more in the summer - you sweat loads more in the summer (obvs!) so you need to keep hydrated. I make sure that I always fill up my water bottle before I go to bed so I can down a whole load in the morning to wake me up. I find carrying a decent sized water bottle around with me at all times helps so I always have access to it and it means fewer trips to the tap. I also often set times throughout the day to refill my water bottle, in which I have to have finished the current lot. Basically, just make sure that wherever you are, you can get to water as easily as possible and drinking more will seem so much simpler! If you want to 'spice' up your water, try putting lemons, limes, strawberries etc in it - fruit infused water is delicious and actually really good for you!

Pinterest

2. Eat healthier
Okay so I know this is a very broad one so I am just going to go over the basics and maybe write a full post on this another time? (Let me know what you think) When I say eat healthier,  I don't mean find the latest fad diet - Em Sheldon has written a post on why she doesn't believe in diets and it literally puts all my feelings about diets into one post, you should seriously give it a read HERE! What I mean by eat healthier, is clean it up. Eat more fresh fruits and vegetables. Don't be scared of carbs, you need them for energy, but try to buy wholefoods such as brown pasta and rice, sweet potatoes, quinoa and couscous. Try to cook at home more, so you can control exactly what you are putting into your body. If you can, eat more (good foods) frequently throughout the day but reduce your portion sizes, you want to keep your body fuelled for the day. 

Instagram

3. Workout more
And don't say you don't have time, you have to make time! I go to the gym at least four times a week and once I am back at home, I will be playing tennis and going for runs on top of that. It's all about doing what you can, when you can. I don't have one, but those FitBits and AppleWatches etc that count your steps do actually encourage you to get off you butt and do something. Find a sport or workout programme that you enjoy, or try lots of different ones. I enjoy doing a class at the gym every now and then, it's nice to mix it up and try something new. I'm considering doing a series of blog posts dedicated to my favourite workouts for different things so stay tuned!

Pinterest

4. Go outside
Super simple, but the fresh air is so so good for you in so many ways. I love going out for walks whenever I can as it is a great way to clear your head, do some thinking and feel refreshed. I also find it to be quite a good hangover cure - grab a drink (and put on suncream if it is sunny) and go for a walk. Walking round my village in the sun is one of my favourite things to do, whether its on my own, with friends or my family, its such a lovely way to spend the day.

Pinterest

5. Keep at it!
Stay motivated and make it a habit! At the start, you may have to think about what you are doing and the motivation alone can keep you on track. A little further down the line when you don't feel 100% or its raining or you just can't be bothered, hopefully you will have created a habit so you keep going through it all. Going to the gym three, or even two times a week seemed like such a chore for me before, but now I have made a habit out of it, I can easily go at least four times a week. Find little things to keep you motivated: find yourself a workout buddy so you can encourage each other, plus you can have a chat whilst you're doing it. Get the people that you live with or spend your time with to eat cleaner too and it will seem so much easier. Sign up to a challenge to give yourself something to work towards! I've signed up to do The Nuts Challenge again (see my previous post here) so I am super motivated to beat my previous time!

You don't need to make massive, drastic changes in your life; if you just change a few little things, you will notice the difference. To me, healthy = happy so it is a no-brainer!

Jess xx

Let me know what you think of this kind of post! Do you want more health and fitness related ones?
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© JessicaLouise. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY pipdig